Tummy tuck surgery (or abdominoplasty) is a procedure used to give you a tighter, flatter stomach and reduce the appearance of stretch marks on your lower abdomen. This type of surgery is performed on patients who have skin and abdominal wall slackness after pregnancy or significant weight loss.
Abdominoplasty surgery offers a solution by flattening the slack skin and tightening the muscles of the relaxed tummy wall, and if needed, excess subcutaneous fatty tissue can be removed as well. Tummy tuck surgery not only results in a better appearance and function, but it also stops the slackening process of the abdominal wall.
The results can be long-lasting, especially if you exercise, eat a healthy diet and maintain a healthy weight after your operation which we thoroughly endorse and support you with here at Secret Surgery Ltd.
Am I a candidate for a Tummy Tuck Procedure
The ideal candidates for tummy tuck surgery are patients in relatively good physical shape, who are unhappy with an excess of skin or fat in the abdominal area that is resistant to diet and exercise.
Often women who have been through pregnancy and childbirth have a laxity of underlying muscles which makes it very difficult for mothers to achieve a flat and firm tummy again. This is because the skin and muscles have stretched beyond the point where they can naturally return to their normal location and shape
Other ideal candidates for abdominoplasty procedures are those who have lost a significant of weight and have excess sagging skin in the abdominal area. Older patients, who may have lost skin elasticity or have sagging skin due to the ageing process, are also good candidates for tummy tuck procedures.
It is essential that before you undergo an abdominoplasty procedure that you understand what happens during and after the operation, and that you have realistic expectations. You must also be prepared for the fact that abdominoplasty operations leave a permanent scar, normally across the full width of the bikini line. However, a good surgeon will ensure that the incision is made in such a way and in such a location that it can be easily hidden behind your underwear.
You should not consider tummy tuck surgery if:
- You are a woman who is considering further pregnancies – the muscles pulled together and repaired during the tummy tuck procedure can separate again during pregnancy.
- You are very overweight
- You are diabetic
- You are a smoker and/or have poor circulation
- You have visible scars from past abdominal surgeries (e.g. stomach stapling, appendectomy, a hernia operation etc) and don’t want further scarring on your body.
A qualified member of our medical team will guide you through the requirements for Tummy Tuck Surgery and assess whether you may be suitable. You may also wish to consult your GP.
Preparing for Tummy Tuck Surgery
At Secret Surgery Ltd, preparation is a fundamental part our patient pathway. We strive to ensure that your health and well being needs are met throughout your experience with our dedicated team of professionals.
In preparation for your operation you may be asked to:
- Lose weight – You will get the optimum result from your tummy tuck operation if you are the correct weight for your height
- Stop taking the contraceptive pill six weeks before surgery and use an alternative method of contraception - this reduces the risk of blood clotting (thrombosis) which can be extremely serious
- Give up smoking – smoking increases your risk of chest or wound infection, and will slow your recovery
- Avoid taking aspirin, anti-inflammatory drugs and herbal supplements as they can increase bleeding
- In addition, you will be asked to sign consent forms to assure your cosmetic surgeon that you fully understand the procedure that you will undergo and any potential risks, complications and side effects associated with Tummy Tuck Surgery.
You will also receive special instructions prior to surgery which include: What to do on the day of your surgery and Post-operative care and follow-up instructions
Tummy Tuck Surgery Procedure Steps
A Tummy Tuck operation is a highly individualised procedure achieved through a variety of incision patterns and techniques. The appropriate technique for your individual case will be determined by your surgeon.
There are three main types of Tummy Tuck procedures, these options will be discussed fully between you and our highly skilled Cosmetic Surgeons in Poland.
Standard tummy tuck - Your surgeon makes surgical cuts into your abdomen and above your bikini line. Your belly button is cut from the surrounding skin. Stretched or torn muscles are pulled together and stitched into place and excess fat is removed. Your skin is then pulled down and the excess trimmed off. Your belly button will then be repositioned to fit the new shape of your tummy.
The cuts are closed with stitches and your lower abdomen is firmly strapped with bandages. You will have a scar around your belly button and a long curved scar along your bikini line, which can usually sit behind the line of your underwear.
Mini tummy tuck - Only the skin and fat below your belly button is removed leaving a long curved scar along your bikini line.
Extended Full tummy tuck - Excess skin and fat from your abdomen and your back is removed by your abdominoplasty surgeon. You will have a scar around your belly button and a long curved scar along your bikini line and around your back.
Complete abdominoplasty usually takes two to five hours, depending on the extent of work required, and partial abdominoplasty (mini tummy tuck) may take an hour or two. Please watch this video animation that will explain the most common way to perform a Tummy Tuck:
Tummy Tuck Surgery Recovery and Healing Steps
Once your Tummy Tuck procedure is completed, the surgical areas will be covered in dressing or bandages.
Abdominoplasty surgery recovery times vary depending on the extent of the tummy tuck operation, and surgical techniques used. After Tummy Tuck surgery patients stay overnight and usually stay for a further two or three days.
During your stay in Poland, Your Medical team will advise you of the following;
- How to care for the incision sites and the importance of cleansing the incision sites and how to apply any ointment as directed.
- Medications to apply or to take orally to reduce the risk of infection
- Specific changes at the surgical site or in overall health
- It is important you follow any advice carefully, as this is essential to the success of your final outcome.
- You will be seen daily by medical staff during your stay in Poland, to ensure that your recovery and healing proceed in optimum standards.
- Stitches in your skin are usually removed in five to seven days. Deeper stitches may be taken out at a slighter later stage. Your surgeon will advise you when your stitches will be removed.
Your post surgical aftercare instructions will be given to you on the day of your discharge. Secret Surgery will be with you every step of the way to ensure that your after care continues well after your departure and return, our dedicated team of professionals are always on standby to assist with any queries or concerns.
Full abdominoplasty recovery can take between three and six months, and your scars will continue to fade after that time.
Tummy Tuck Surgery Side Effects and Surgery Risks
Surgical abdominoplasty is commonly performed and generally considered safe. However, in order to make an informed decision and give your consent, you must be aware of the possible side-effects and the potential risk of complications from this operation. It is advised that you discuss these in detail with your Cosmetic Surgeon in Poland who is medically qualified to answer your questions.
You can reduce the abdominoplasty risks by following your abdominoplasty surgeon’s advice before and after the operation.
Tummy Tuck Surgery Results
The results of Tummy Tuck surgery are immediately visible. Over time post-surgical swelling will subside and resolve, and incision lines will gradually refine in appearance. Patients experience an immediate satisfaction at their results, and experience fulfillment in self-confidence and personal body image in achieving their goal for an improved body profile
Your tummy tuck will result in a flatter, firmer abdominal contour that is more proportionate with your body type and weight, and within a week or two you will be able to see your new, slimmer profile.
Angela Says:"At Secret Surgery we understand how body contour and appearance can be greatly enhanced and improved by having a tummy tuck. Our skilled cosmetic surgeons experienced in Tummy Tuck surgery will repair and tighten the abdominal muscles and remove excess sagging skin. Your appearance after you have recovered from the tummy tuck surgery will improve, which may give you increased self-confidence. However as with all surgery, research, and preparation is the key to a positive and realistic outcome."